Sunday, September 6, 2009

Grapes???? GF Bread that really rose!

Last week I was having a tough time baking bread... same recipe, kept overproofing, and I'd only get a slice or so from the loaves.

After the 3rd failure, ( I had been modifying a few things as I went), was using Expandex and montina flour to make things work better, along with a cold oven to start (really doesn't make sense to do if your bread rises so fast). My bread was rising in 30 min. or less - I couldn't get distracted... I finally realized I had only ever made this bread as a sourdough type and had never made it with yeast.

So I gave up and went with another recipe, my other go to gluten free bread recipe that I'm pretty happy with - but since I've never had a problem with it, I thought I'd try the grapes (just squeezed out 2 green grapes and proofed the yeast with that), oh and why not whip the egg whites? so now I'm not sure if it was the egg whites or the grapes that produced this stupendous rise (common consensus is the grapes)... the original recipe said to use 2 8x4 or a bigger 10" pan, but my dough was too small so I used a 9x5 pan, but now...
This was not over-proofing - the dough actually rose that high in the oven - it went in the oven just barely at the top of the pan, and due to the aforementioned failures that week, I had preheated the oven - ok, one bubble at the top in the back, but it couldn't support the height - of course... But it was the best bread so far - just weird size of slices...

BTW, you should have heard me laughing when I saw this and HAD to take the picture, all week long things puffed up extraordinarily when I made them, even pancakes...

1 comment:

~J~ said...

Please tell me what recipe you used!